Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fasting Facts

  • If it doesn't mean anything to you, it won't mean anything to God
  • Without prayer and the word, fasting is pretty much dieting
  • fasting itself is a continual prayer before God
  • fasting is like spring cleaning for the body
  • water is the fasters best friend
  • Headaches are the result of the impurities and poisons the body is burning for energy
  • periodic fasts are necessary to flush out the poisons
  • fasting gives your body time to heal itself, it is a mighty key to healing your body
  • fasting relieves nervousness and tension and gives your digestive system a rest
  • fasting lowers blood pressure and can lower cholesterol
  • fasting keeps you sensitive to His spirit enabling you to live holy
  • fasting is a constant means of renewing yourself spiritually
  • fasting will break poverty from your life
  • fasting is a personal, private discipline
  • health and healing will follow fasting
  • fasting will also overcome sexual addictions and demonic powers
  • fasting will begin to bring to the surface any areas of compromise in your life and make you more aware of any sin in your life so you can repent
  • anytime you fast it is a hunger strike against hell
  • there is a prophetic release that occurs in a church or and individual who fasts continually for forty days

The reality of fasting is that it is one of the three duties of a Christian. One of the ways we present ourselves as a living sacrifice besides giving and praying. When we follow these three simple duties faithfully God rewards you openly. Most of this information I received from the book "Fasting" Opening the door to a deeper, more intimate, more powerful relationship with God by Jentezen Franklin

As a baby Christian I was eager to learn about what I had heard so much about. The Lord led me to this book which answered a lot of questions as well as prayers. It has been a blessing to me and I recommend it to any one with a curiosity on this subject of fasting. I have fallen short on this duty. I used to take time each month and practice fasting.

It's rather funny to talk with other Christians about fasting. You can definitely weed out the ones who desire more of God and the ones who are just plain happy with salvation. Personally I desire a more intimate relationship. I better get back on board. I talked to a young lady about this subject and she told me she couldn't do it. The best she could do was skip breakfast. If that is as far as we are willing to crucify the flesh we will never conquer anything else in life. The Lord told me early in our relationship if He tells me I can do something I better believe I can. He has made me more than a conqueror. When I think I can't, that is the worse kind of arrogance. As Joel Osteen says we are victors not victims. I talked to another man about the art of fasting who claimed to be a Christian. He told me he didn't have to fast, that God met all his needs anyway. This man has now came down with arthritis in his neck and will soon be completely immobilized. If Jesus Himself practiced fasting then how much more should we.

There is more than one kind of fast to fit any particular persons needs. Such as absolute fast, normal fast, or a partial fast. If you have a demanding job that takes a more physical demand then I would recommend a partial fast. There are several different ways to do that. You can eat only veggies, or just fast from bread, meat and sweets. I actually fasted from sweets for forty days. It was easy and it really cleaned my insides and made me feel healthier.

There are some fascinating stories about other people and their fasting in this book. Miracles taking place and the transformation of lives found only in the presence of God are fun to read about. You can find this book at book stores everywhere.

2 comments:

Yvette said...

Thank you Mike and Char for all your prayers!! Thanks for the card as well, Mike. It really ment a lot to us. I finally have updated my blog. I have no Internet at the new house yet. I am at mom and dads right now. So I don't know when the next update will be.
Tegan is doing great! Tristan and Tiffany could use your prayers. Excpecially Tristan he has been having bad days at school due to the kids in class and lack of discipline from his teacher.
Thanks!!

Kris Sorensen said...

Sounds like a great book!