Friday, April 10, 2009

Who Crucified Jesus?

I must say that Jesus was on my mind almost all day today. I don't think I've ever dwelt on the Lord this much on a Good Friday ever. I was sure to watch the clock to mark when Jesus was hung on that cross and constantly thanked Him. Even up to 3 o'clock when He finally breathed His last breath I thought I felt the ground move a little and remembered when Jesus said it's finished. I have ran the entire scenario through my head and feel so sorry for helping nail Jesus to that cross with my iniquity. Here is a little something I read today....

When looking at Rembrandt's painting of The Three Crosses, your attention is drawn first to the cross on which Jesus died. Then as you look at the crowd gathered around the foot of that cross, you are impressed by the various facial expressions and actions of the people involved in the awful crime of crucifying the Son of God. Finally, your eyes drift to the edge of the painting to catch sight of another figure, almost hidden in the shadows. Some art critics say this is a representation of Rembrandt himself, for he recognized that by his sins he helped nail Jesus to the cross.

Someone has said, "It is a simple thing to say that Christ died for the sins of the world. It is quite another thing to say that Christ died for my sins....It is a shocking thought that we can be as indifferent as Pilate, as scheming as Caiaphas, as callous as the soldiers, as ruthless as the mob, or as cowardly as the disciples. It wasn't just what they did, it was I who nailed Him to the tree. I crucified the Christ of God. I joined the mockery."

Place yourself in the shadows with Rembrandt. You too are standing there. But then recall what Jesus said as He hung on that cross, "Father, forgive them." Thank God, that includes you and me. ~Henry Bosch~

No comments: