Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Left Overs

It has been almost one week from Thanksgiving and I am still eating left overs. I wonder when this stuff will go bad. I had to change things up tonight. I fried up some fish I caught this last autumn at Clear Lake. I can only handle so much turkey. Man do I cook some good fish, let me tell you. I have had people who despise fish try my expertise fish fry and they fall in love. I think if I was to cook one bag of fish once every four weeks it would last me through the winter. That's how much fish I have in my freezer.

I was munchin on my fish thinking how I was sick of left overs when it dawned on me how sick God must be of getting left overs. I bet He gets left overs every single day. Yucky. How foul that must be. I have been bringing my first fruits to the lord for some time. My Tithes that is. My offerings have been more sporadic. Until recently when my pastor preached on how important it is to give with a joy full heart and to have a plan. He talked about how we should be organized in our giving. I made a vow to myself that I would discipline myself in this area. Every month I get a calender from church which has all our events posted. This is a life saver. It shows me our special offering weekends such as, missions, jail ministry, principal offering, benevolent, etc. etc. At the beginning of the month I take this calender and write down what the Lord puts in my heart to give. Now every Friday after depositing my check I can write out my tithe and look at my calender. Now I can have my offering ready and its apart of my first fruits no matter what is taking place that weekend.

I don't think it really impresses God unless it costs us something to give. In the bible when someone offered to give David offerings to offer up to God David refused. David knew better than to offer something to God that was free or didn't cost him anything. I think this is why a lot of Christians today don't see God moving in their lives because they are really robbing God. They don't even see what they are doing is wrong. After they pay their bills or after they get groceries and fill the cars up with gas they will cut out a check for God and His Kingdom.

If you want to know how God feels just eat the same stuff over and over for weeks. Then think left overs, is this what I have been doing to my sovereign God who loved me so much He gave His only precious son Jesus to die in my place. One scripture that comes to mind is 2 Cor. 9:2-14. This kind of sums it all up.
  1. Giving should be planned 2 Cor. 9:2
  2. we reap as we have sown 2Cor. 9:6
  3. Don't be manipulated into giving 2Cor. 9:7
  4. God blesses you so you can be a blessing 2Cor. 9:8
  5. God set the example in giving John 3:16

No comments: