Saturday, April 10, 2010

Persecution To Perseverance

When I was first born again I struggled with persecution. Persecution on the light side. People made fun of me. They had a blast teasing me about sin and other religious perspectives. So after a while it became easy for me to enjoy their troubles. If something bad would happen to any of them, instead of praying for them as I should, I kind of laughed about it on the inside. I would think, serves you right for picking on me. But as I grew in the Lord I found that God dislikes this very much. Proverbs 24:17 says "Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles; (vs. 18) Or the Lord will see it and be displeased, and turn His anger away from him."

Its safe to say that I know better now. I'm learning to pray for those who oppose me. I'm learning to bless those who are against me. "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" (Romans 12:21). Early in my relationship with the Lord when people were breathing fire down my neck and I was inches away from beating their teeth down their throats, I heard the Holy Spirit speak to my heart. He said, "Kill them", I thought yes I will kill them, He finished by saying, "Kill them with kindness and love". It wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear but when God speaks you listen and do as He says. I must say it was one of the hardest things to do as a young Christian. Leaving the situation in Gods hands and not taking it upon my self to deal out the wrath. "Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God,..." (Romans 12:19).

It's an awesome thing to look back and see where and how God has taken you. By being devoted to my Heavenly Father, prayer and reading His Word, I have been transformed. The problems I once was stricken by seem a mere memory of long ago. It's only been just a couple of years now and I've come so far. It makes me wonder. Where will I be in another couple of years?

No comments: