Saturday, July 10, 2010

Shine The Light In Such A Way

Through my devotion time with the Lord the other day I came across this scripture. Matthew 5:16. It says, "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Then I skipped over to Matthew chapter 6 and read this verse. (vs. 2) "So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full." If you keep reading through to verse 3 and 4 it almost seems that from chapter 5:16 to chapter 6:2-4 there might be some contradictions. But if you read throughout chapter 6 it shows the Lord wants us to be aware of "pride". Sometimes in our giving and other good works we can be boastful and proud. I think that our good works should shine before others as long as we are careful not to be too proud. How else are young believers or new Christians to see how it is to be done? How are others in the world (non-believers) to see the love of Christ if we hide every good deed? Look at Matt. 5:16 again. ...Let your light shine before men IN SUCH A WAY that they may see your good works.... Let me say that my girlfriend found out what kind of giver I am. I let her see those checks being written out to ministries that need my financial support. Even when it was inconvenient for me. Let's shine the light of Christ through our good works being careful not bring the spotlight on us. All the glory belongs to God.

No comments: