Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What You Talkin About

Lately I've been noticing words and phrases being thrown around loosely. I'm sure everyone has done it from time to time. But we should possibly watch our tongues closer than we do. I feel that we confuse our spirit man when we do use words that don't fit or phrases that don't make sense. Of course they seem to make sense to us because we are a people of slang terms these days.

I have many slang words and phrases that I use but am looking to correct this. At my noon hour the other day I was finishing a book. This is a good book that I definitely recommend. It has opened my eyes to several different areas of my life. Under The Overpass by Mike Yankoski, check it out if you ever get the chance. When I got to the last page of this book one sentence stood out like a sore thumb. "The next step on a journey of faith always feels risky and a little scary. But it's also terribly important and incredibly promising-and it's always up to us to take."

The words "terribly" and "incredibly" stick out to me most. I hear people say how incredible God can be. But wouldn't you say that God is credible. If something is incredible I don't have the notion to put my trust in it. I hear the phrase "wickedly cool" and my brain goes wait a second, being wicked is far from cool. especially considering cool in real terms means cold. Is any of this making sense to you. I'm not sure where I am going with this so I will end it here. We all now that scripture states that "we have what we say" and that we should gaurd our tongues.

No comments: