Thursday, July 9, 2009

Parenthood Next To Godlyhood

I'm not a parent as of yet. I do have a dog. As my dog's "parent" I have had the Lord teach me lessons that He wants me to learn. Quite a few as a matter of fact.

One would be obedience. Another would be discipline. I've learned about forgiveness too. And recently faithfulness. It's funny how every time I go and scold my dog for something the Holy Spirit gives me a little nudge.

The last two weeks have been trying for me concerning my dog. She has recently discovered pocket golfers in the yard and under the shed. For two weeks I've been scolding and disciplining her for digging holes. A few minutes ago I drug her inside giving her a few words. I said out loud to the dopey dog, "I fill your food bowl and keep your water bowl full and....". In the middle of that sentence the Holy Spirit gave me a nudge and I stopped talking. All I can do is thank the Lord for opening my eyes to how I've been lately. How important it is to stay close to the Lord and discern His voice.

So in many ways I see how parenthood can relate to my Heavenly Fathers oversight on me. I just hope the Lord isn't making my dog misbehave to drive these points home to me. :-)

No comments: