Friday, January 1, 2010

First Post Of The Year

I want to reflect on what I posted yesterday on my Last Post Of The Year. I looked a little deeper into what I was getting myself into and found out that my reading plan was in fact the Old Testament once through and the New Testament twice through. At first I was hesitant because of a small fear of failure. But confidence grew as I reflected on what this really meant to me. Like I read in this mornings devotions, I am on a treasure hunt. I'm searching for hidden treasures in the Bible. I am up for the challenge as I do something I have never done before. I am hungry and know that this book, when devoured, will keep me from sin. Or if I let it, sin will keep me from this Book and the beautiful treasure it holds. I've made a choice to chase after God no matter what I am feeling or experiencing in life. His Word helps me to stay close to Him.

Your words were found, and I ate them, and Your
Word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart;
for I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts
(Jeremiah 15:16)

Jeremiah felt a rush of "joy and rejoicing" as he ingested God's Word into his heart. The word the prophet used for "heart" means "the inner man, thinking, reflection at the seat of appetites." The Word of God will nourish your thoughts and emotions, and bring you joy.

search the Scriptures' precious store
As a miner digs for ore;
Search, and you will surely find
Treasures to enrich the mind. ~Anon~

No comments: